Slab vs. vide sanitaire? Discussion here along with info on how to layer with the moisture barrier and insulation.
Some other useful articles here:
- Radiant Heat in a Slab on Grade Floor
- Slab-on-Grade Technical Guide
- Insulating below slab-on-grade floors
- Slab-on-Grade Construction: Step-by-Step
- How to build Slab-on-Grade on Standard Soil
Tips from these pages:
- Dig out the earth and then pack it tightly before pouring any concrete.
- You can – if you’re crazy enough – do this without using any rebar (as if!)
- You can literally make it up as you go along. These guys used rockwool under the slab and EPS under the footings. How does that not compress when under concrete and with the weight of the house on it.
- It IS important to use a Radon/vapour barrier before pour cement.
- Remember to put the rebar over the vapour barrier!
- Polished concrete is a good idea – but who is capable of doing this here in France?